Camp is NOW Peanut Free! What does that mean for you and your camper(s)?
We ask that all parents be mindful of the items packed for your camper(s) for his/her lunch and snack each day.
Peanut allergy is one of the most common causes of death due to food allergies. Three things characterize peanut hypersensitivity:
- Reactions can be extremely violent and life threatening with just a little exposure to the allergen.
- This allergy likely to persist throughout life.
- It is often associated with other non-legume allergies (tree nuts, or certain seeds for example) and seed allergy. Peanut and tree nut allergic reactions coexist in one third of peanut allergic patients.
If you are sending in a snack to be shared with campers or just want to purchase items that will not bring this allergen into the camp grounds, please see the safe snack food listing below or the following Snack Safely website. Be sure to check ingredients – packages should NOT say “may contain nuts or peanuts” or “that they are processed on the same equipment or same facilities using nuts or peanuts”. This is usually under the ingredients but not always.
- Fresh Fruit
- Fresh Veggies
- Fruit Snacks
- Utz Pretzel Sticks
- Rold Gold Pretzels
- Shop-Rite Brand Pretzels
- Herrs Brand Pretzels
- Teddy Grahams
- Nabisco Classics- iced animal cookies, iced oatmeal cookies and snicker doodles.
- Chex mix traditional and cheddar
- Most Tortilla & Potato chips
- Oreo cookies but not the Oreo Cakesters
- Chips a Hoy
- Oreos, Animal Crackers, Goldfish, Teddy Grahams and Chips A Hoy (but not the mini bags)
- Keebler Vienna Fingers
- Sun Chips
- Ritz cracker and Ritz crackers with cheese dip but not Ritz bits
- Health Valley Organic Toaster Tarts (Raspberry, Blueberry and Baked Apple are good NOT Cinnamon Danish)
- Little Bits Brownie
- Golden Graham Treats – chocolate marshmallow
- Keebler Fudge Stripes (but not other cookies made by Keebler)
- Hershey Kisses
- Hershey Kissables
- PopTarts (except peanut butter)
- Apple sauce
- Fruit cups
- Pre-made Jello Cups
- Pre-made pudding but watch out for nut mixes
- Kellogg’s Nutri Grain Cereal bars (except nut mixes)
- Kashi TLC Blackberry Gram Soft Baked Bars but watch for nuts mixes
- Yogurt but not ones that have the toppings in the clear top
- Kelloggs YoGos bits
- Ice Pops
- Italian Ices
- Dixie Cups of Vanilla and Chocolate ice cream (check the brand to make sure)
- Good Humor Ice cream Chocolate Éclair and Strawberry
- Cherrios not Honey Nut
- Cheese and Cheese sticks
- Raisins and Craisins
- Plain or Cheese Popcorn
We hope you find this information helpful and know that there are so many choices to not have to limit your child to their favorite kind of snack, only that a brand change may be required to keep everyone safe.